Thursday, March 10, 2011

weight or cups?

So is there anyone out there who cooks by weight? I am considering making the big jump and getting a kitchen scale.

I eat gluten free, and bake gluten free. I think that I've accepted that baking is one of my more practical hobbies at this point in life, and I really enjoy it.
And it seems that the best way to bake the best gluten free breads, cookies, etc., is by weight. Ratios, to be more exact, and it's much easier to cook by ratio by weight than by cups, since different flours have different weights. I do use pamela's mixes for most of my bread and pancake type of recipes, but for when I want to make something taste exactly like the real deal that might be a little trickier - say, bagels or english muffins...

Have any of you made that jump? Especially anyone who bakes GF?

Love,
Curious

2 comments:

  1. I just started switching some of my recipes over to weights instead of measures... it's much faster and there are fewer dirty dishes to wash! I got this scale from Amazon and it's really easy to use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VS22MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ever used a scale to bake...though I've considered it. At this point, I figure I can only do so much and converting everything to weights is just too much at this point. Though, everyone I know who bakes by weights loves it. I will reconsider at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me. It will make my day.