Wednesday, March 17, 2010

sewing for ruthie.


Lydia's birthday is coming up on Friday, and part of her gift is the "naked no more" gift of love for her babydoll, Ruthie. Naked babydolls really bug me. I'm not sure why - they just look so sad and undone. Ruthie's current outfits are oh-so-fun for Lydia to take off, and oh-so-difficult for her to get back on. So most of the times, Ruthie is a sad babydoll with no clothes. I got out the tupperware of fabric last night and burrowed through until I found something just right. Then I went back to my days as a twelve year old, sewing for my American Doll, Kirsten, and I made a pattern for little Ruthie. I vaguely remembered how to do the bodice, and then the rest came along pretty easily. Here's the result. All you sewing geniuses, do you have any ideas for making the bodice a little neater on the inside? I did a full-lined front, and two fully-lined back pieces, but left the sides open since I'd be sewing the front to the back, and so those seams are really messy on the inside, since I don't have a serger. Any ideas? I'm thinking I should have closed up the sides when I sewed the rest of it, then when I reversed it, just hand slip-stitched the front and back of the bodice together.

I can't wait to see her face when she opens it!

update - well, I wrote this about two weeks ago, and then didn't download the photos from the camera until yesterday. She loved the dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me. It will make my day.